5.12.2009

May 12

The Dogwood tree.  I have a new found appreciation for the Dogwood tree.  I've seen them before but never in such multitudes as I have since we moved to southern Ohio.  Last year Martha P. brought a branch in to church and put it on the alter.  These blooms are so beautiful.  I was standing after church in awe.  She came up to me and asked if I had ever heard the story of the Dogwood tree.  I had not.  She went on to tell me that the Dogwood is the tree Jesus was hung from and God promised never to make a Dogwood strong enough to hang another man.  The 4 petals are shaped like a cross and there is a little brown stain on the end of each one to remind us of the blood shed.  The center of the flower is round and spikey like the crown of thorns.  When I decided to do a picture a day I knew I NEEDED to get one of the Dogwood in full bloom.  Thank you God for such a pure, beautiful reminder of your gift to us.

No comments: