6.07.2010

Good Bye Old Friend

Pablo was the greatest dog I have EVER owned.  Brian gave him to me in October, 2000 for a birthday gift.  I wanted a puppy and this fur ball was available and in need of a new home.  The family who first owned him called him Gizmo and did not appreciate him.  They had kids who poured glue and paint on him.  They were going to put him down because he was so mean.  I had him for six months before I ever heard him bark.  Mean was the last word I would use when describing this dog.  He was so cool.  He never needed a leash.  He has always been VERY loyal.  
We had to put him down today.  It was a decision that did NOT come lightly and is killing me now.  I gave him one last bath this morning.  He was such a good bather.  Every groomer we ever took him to gloated about his fabulous behavior.  When he was brushed and dry I asked Michael if he wanted to say good bye and we had a good cry together.  He understands that Pablo is going to Heaven to live with Jesus.  When the deed was done, we buried him in the back yard.  Before we put him in the ground we wrapped him in a towel.  Michael said, "Are you wrapping him up?"  I said "Yes Honey."  He then said the sweetest, most understanding thing I think I've ever heard from a 5 year old, "Is God going to unwrap him?"  That broke my heart all over again.  

  Then tonight he cried a little more before falling asleep.  I assured him that it is COMPLETELY okay to cry.  Pablo was an amazing dog and we were blessed to find him.  It doesn't matter what you go by, Fat Guy, Pabs, Pablo, Fatman, we just loved you and will never forget what a wonderful, loyal friend you have been.  Thank you for falling in love with us.  

I love you.  

Good bye. 

4 comments:

Missy B said...

I love my Hassels.

Mom said...

Oh, my, gosh! What a touching tribute to a scared little dog when we first met him and which stopped the second he met all of us. I'm gonna miss that fat guy.

Cassie said...

Helen, I cannot stop sobbing...SOBBING. What a beautiful love. I am so sorry you lost your beautiful friend. And Michael is so wonderful. UGH. Going to go keep crying now. Prayers for your family!

Helen Hassel said...

Thank you all for your support. It was a hard day and when it was over Michael was laying in bed and said, "We forgot to leave a message on Pablo's grave. We need to leave a message so God can find him." I told him we could paint some rocks and put them on top and he told me that would be a great idea. He then asked if God was going to dig him out of the ground. I told him God doesn't have to dig to get Pabs. Michael said "He'll get dirty reaching in the ground to get Pablo."